template

Friday, January 25, 2013

Step #43-- Perspective (or first world problems)

The other night I put up a big stink because we ended up going to Wendy's for dinner instead of Chuck o Rama.  Now in my defense, I was promised Chuck o Rama, and I'd been looking forward to it all evening...but it was still kind of a dumb thing to make a big deal about.  After all, I got a spicy chicken sandwich and a frosty.

I'm amazed by the kind of mindset I get into living here in the states.  It's sort of a "I can, so I should."  But shouldn't it be a "just because I can, doesn't mean I should"? I have so many things at my fingertips here and I should just be grateful for whatever I get.  After all, in a few weeks I'll be back in China where I may or may not have hot water to shower with.

Sometimes I catch myself complaining about "first world problems."  Things like: running out of room on my ipod, the phone charger being out of arm's reach, or thinking there's nothing to eat in the house (when really there's a fully stocked fridge and food storage in the basement).  As I prepare to go back to China soon, I'm trying to change my perspective on these things.  In China I won't have a fridge, or food storage.  I won't even have a mattress.  So I think it's time to be grateful that I have an ipod, a phone, and wonderful parents who are willing to take me out to eat.

So thanks, Dad, for taking us out to Wendy's.  One of these days Soren and I will take you and mom to Chuck o Rama--our treat.

2 comments:

triciarnorton said...

It is totally fair to complain about missing a trip to Chuck O Rama. I'll make sure we hit up the UP chuck when I am there :)

triciarnorton said...

But I love this concept about "first world problems"...I have way too many of them. (Like when my automatic van doors weren't working. Huge issue for me--sigh.)