template

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Step #42-- Reach for the Stars

About a year ago, I began working on a ten-minute play project for a class. In that class, my professor told me that if I wanted to write a full-length play, now was the time to do it. Feeling somewhat ambitious, I decided to go for it, and began adapting my ten-minute play into a full-length version. Four revisions and seven months later, I assembled a group of actors and an audience for a staged reading of the script. To my delight, the work was well received and I was encouraged to push for production. I handed my fifth revision to my good friend Katie Ludlow, and wrote up a proposal for the chair of the theatre department. With the theatre department's approval, Katie took on the director's role and we began to assemble a team of designers. Now, with many talented people involved (both cast and crew), my dream is becoming a reality and we're producing my play. Many times in my life I've reached for the stars and fallen flat on my back, but this time I actually succeed. I got a star; plucked it right out of the heavens and put it in my pocket.

The play is called "A Half Stick of Gum," and it is to be performed on June 21, 22, and 23. For those of you who may be interested, here is a brief synopsis:

Samantha and Jack are two workers at Gregors, a small town grocery store. While Sam has just come out of a dysfunctional relationship, Jack has just started one. As the two of them struggle with the store's manager, Steve, to save the failing grocery store, they also struggle with the feelings they may have for each other. Could pursuing a relationship save their friendship, or ruin it?

1 comment:

triciarnorton said...

I really, really, really (x50) wish I could come to your play. Next time. xoxo