
Once I got settled into my apartment and I had all my classes figured out, I went to the audition board to see if there were any shows I wanted to audition for. On the board, there was a flyer for a show called "Unarmed Warriors" that would be an all-girl cast. It stated when auditions would be held and listed the requirements for the auditions.
Well, I went out on a limb and auditioned. A few days later, I found out that I made it. I was so excited! Our first rehearsal the director, Hyrum, told us about the show: it was going to be a compilation of monologues and scenes about strong women who stood up for themselves. He also told us that the show's title was changed from "Unarmed Warriors" to "Unruly Women." Awesome.
Rehearsals for this show have been intense. For a month I have been working endlessly on two 3 minute monologues. Just when I'd think I had them perfect, Hyrum and the assistant directors would tear them apart and I'd have a million more things to work on. I like my pieces, I really do. But after doing them over and over and over...they're starting to wear on me.
It's been such a great experience. I've really had to get into the heads of my characters. If I really was Hermione, Queen of Sicilia, how would I move, how would I use my hands, what would I do with my facial expressions? If I really was Ruth Jamison, how would I walk, how would I tilt my head, what would my habitual movements be? Trying to think of all these things as I perform gets extremely difficult. But I get better every time. And I will continue to get better until, hopefully, I'm perfect at the performance.
I look back on my past acting and I have to shudder. I know so much more now than I did then. This has been so good for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment